Under the direct supervision of the Pharmacist, the Pharmacy Technician - Sterile Compounding is responsible for performing routine pharmacy duties and assisting the registered Pharmacists with technical pharmacy operations including the sterile compounding of IV medications. The Pharmacy Technician - Sterile Compounding works in accordance with established practices, procedures, and administrative policies.
- Assist pharmacists in filling inpatient orders, including completion of necessary documentation.
- Prepare, deliver and collect all pharmacy items throughout the medical center including re-stocking of automated dispensing cabinets.
- Perform floor checks, stock checks, and assigned unit review as required.
- Completes all Pharmacy Keeper Activities and inspections assigned to their position.
- Assist Pharmacists in monitoring stock for outdated medications and properly dispose of them in a timely manner.
- Process medication returns/refunds to patient accounts.
- Compounds medications according to USP795 regulations.
- Perform sterile compounding in compliance with USP regulations.
- Performs sterile compounding of hazardous medications according to USP regulations.
- Maintains compliance with all written and hands on aseptic technique testing according to USP regulations.
- Prepackage medication as necessary and according to establish Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Answers telephones and assists callers with needs that do not require the professional judgment of a pharmacist.
- Must be able to interact with EPIC, our dispensing automation software (e.g. Pyxis, Carousels) and Pharmacy Keeper software to answer all questions related to the processing of a medication order.
- Assist customers at service window including house staff, couriers and others as needed.
- Perform general cleaning duties as assigned to maintain cleanliness of the general pharmacy area and the I.V. Sterile Compounding areas.
- Continually demonstrate behavior that anticipates and meets the needs of patients and other pharmacy department personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Follows Hospital and department policies and procedures with special attention to attendance and punctuality, confidentiality, dress code and display of ID badge, and safety.
- Completes mandatory education and training in order to maintain organization and department-specific competencies and requirements.
- High school graduate or the equivalent.
- Successful completion of pharmacy department training program for Pharmacy Technicians including USP sterile compounding competencies, including USP hazardous drug compounding competencies.
- Associates degree or some college coursework preferred.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician with the Ohio Board of Pharmacy required.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) verified through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) required.
- CPhT-CSP (Compound Sterile Preparation) from Pharmacy Technician Certification Board preferred.
- If from out of state, can hire in a trainee status, pending board approval of their Certified Pharmacy Technician registration.
Complexity of Work:
- Ability to work harmoniously and efficiently with other personnel both within and external to the pharmacy.
- Proficiency in technical skills used in pharmacy practice
- Ability to complete tasks accurately and efficiency with minimal direct supervision.
- Maintain all requirements for continuous certification as CPhT.
- Previous experience as a pharmacy technician preferred.
- Experience in a hospital inpatient pharmacy preferred.
- Experience in a USP797 compliant sterile products compounding room preferred.
- Experience with EPIC electronic healthcare record other similar programs preferred.
- Experience with Pharmacy Keeper software or another IV workflow software system preferred.
- Understanding of medical terminology and calculations preferred.
- Proficient typing skills required.
- Ability to perform work which requires constant standing and walking.
- Ability to routinely lift up to 20 pounds.
- A willingness to perform work which has infrequent disagreeable features and safety hazards.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.