Chat with a Recruiter
Provides general support tasks (clinical and non-clinical) for assigned patient care area. Works with other members of the patient care team to deliver care to patients in age groups including newborns, infants, children, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics. In addition the Patient Care Technician is responsible for venipuncture and specimen collection following Laboratory protocols.
Previous patient care experience preferred, but not required. Previous phlebotomy experience preferred, but not required.
Education, Licenses & Certifications:
- High School Grad or Equivalent
- Certified Nursing Aide - PA
- Performs routine and specialized phlebotomy procedures (venipuncture, skin puncture, assisting) with line draws.
- Transports patients as needed, serves and retrieves trays, distributes water pitchers, orders and distributes nourishment.
- Participates in patient safety/patient satisfaction.
- Correctly identifies patient, labels specimen accurately and follows the policy for obtaining specimens.
- Answers call bells promptly.
- Makes rounds to check on patient hourly.
- Reports any signs of abuse promptly.
- Reports need for equipment repair.
- Maintains neat and tidy environment (empties laundry, delivers equipment, keeps patient rooms clean and safe).
- Is authorized to access secured storage areas in the performance of essential job functions and duties.
- Participates in the delivery of patient care for patients of all age groups under the direction of an RN, including but not limited to:
- Lifting, turning, and positioning patients
- Observing confused and difficult patients
- AM & PM hygiene care
- Toileting, shaving, washing, brushing hair, dental and mouth care
- Assisting with range of motion exercises
- Mobilizing patients (transfers and ambulation)
- Exercise protocols
- Discontinuing Foley catheter
- Simple dressing changes
- Incentive spirometry supervision
- Surgical preps for adult and geriatric patients
- Post mortem care
- Administers cleansing and fleets enemas for adult and geriatric patients
- Performs and records the following accurately:
- Temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, weights for patients of all age levels
- Bowel movements
- Meals (amount eaten)
- ADL's and activities
- Performs and records patient specimens, such as urine, stool, and sputum of all age groups.
- Instructs patients in proper specimen collection technique.
- Point of care testing to include: glucometry, Hemocult, gastoccult, urine dipstick, urine specific gravity and ACT.
- Actively participates in and documents quality controls on all procedures as required in testing protocol.
- Actively participates in the Quality Assurance Program as required by the Laboratory and Regulatory Agencies.
- Completes EKG's on weekends, holidays and off shifts.
- Performs errands in a timely manner including but not limited to the following:
- Deliver diet sheets
- Transfers beds to OR for their assigned patients
- Makes photocopies
- Transfers blood products to and from patient care area
- Assists with orientation of new Patient Care Technicians.
- Demonstrates cost-effective patient care by demonstrating proper use and care of equipment, appropriate and prudent use of supplies, accurate charging of supplies,; performing other division-specific tasks, and appropriate utilization of available resources.
- Demonstrates initiative in completing work that needs to be done as defined in my areas of responsibility.
- Checks e-cylinders/regulators.
- Recognizes emergency situations and initiates plan of actions.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to improve service and care.
- Inventories and assures disposition of patients' belongings when admitted, transferred, and/or discharged.
- Maintains inventory of patient care area specific supplies.
- Maintains CPR practice.
- Complies with policies and procedures of the hospital/nursing department.
- Represents the hospital to patients/families and health care team in a professional, courteous manner while being sensitive to how others perceive both verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Answers telephone promptly and politely, and demonstrate proper phone etiquette by identifying self, title, and department.
- Supports the philosophy of the hospital and department of nursing.
- Demonstrates willingness to accept non-routine work assignments as appropriate.
Joining the Guthrie team allows you to become a part of a tradition of excellence in health care. In all areas and at all levels of Guthrie, you'll find staff members who have committed themselves to serving the community.
The Guthrie Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages diversity in the workplace.
The Guthrie Clinic is a non-profit, integrated, practicing physician-led organization in the Twin Tiers of New York and Pennsylvania. Our multi-specialty group practice of more than 500 physicians and 302 advanced practice providers offers 47 specialties through a regional office network providing primary and specialty care in 22 communities. Guthrie Medical Education Programs include General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Anesthesiology and Orthopedic Surgery Residency, as well as Cardiovascular, Gastroenterology and Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship programs. Guthrie is also a clinical campus for the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine.